Friday, June 5, 2009

Clarke Historical Museum

I decided to make today’s distraction be the Clarke Historical Museum. They currently have a ship building exhibit that sounded interesting. Admission is well in my price range (free), and it seemed to be a fine thing to do on a dreary, muggy day.

I was a little confused when I first walked in- there was plenty of stuff, but a lack of obvious signage gave the place more of an antique shop feel. But, once I started looking around, I found the labels and other bits of info on the displays. There are lots of old logging and shipping photos. I enjoyed perusing those. I’ve seen plenty of old logging photos, and I always thought many of them were quite faded. Today, it finally dawned on me, the photos aren’t faded-it’s just foggy!

The shipbuilding exhibit gives a taste of what it was like to have some of the most prolific and well-known shipwrights in our own bay. It did seem a bit sparse, though. I’m something of a maritime enthusiast, so maybe my expectations were high. However, I’m not sure anyone will learn anything other than we built ships here.

The Native American Annex is much better. It’s large and airy with an extensive collection that’s displayed well. The main focus is baskets, which the local tribes are well-known for. There are also other ceremonial and day-to-day items on display.

I wasn’t really overly impressed with the museum, but I did enjoy poking around looking at the photos and bric-a-brac of everyday life from Humboldt County’s past, and the Native American Annex alone is worth the stop.

Corner of 3rd and E
Eureka, Calif.
(707) 443-1947


No comments:

Post a Comment